Lasers Beyond the Movie Screen
- Posted on: Apr 15 2018
These days with more Jedi warriors and superheroes running about than armadillos trying to cross Alligator Alley, lasers aren’t exactly rare. But, while we like to see a Stormtrooper get zapped as much as anyone, we’re more excited by the lasers we use at Implant Dentistry of Florida. It’s called laser dentistry, and there isn’t a Wookie in sight.
Laser dentistry is used in combination with traditional dental treatments to reduce patient discomfort and provide more precise results.
At Implant Dentistry of Florida, if possible, we use lasers to remove decayed tissue and to prepare the teeth for filling. Here are some of the benefits of this use of lasers:
- Less tooth sensitivity
- Quicker treatment
- Less risk to the pulp at the tooth center
- No annoying drilling noise
- Preservation of more healthy tooth structure
Sometimes, we utilize lasers to limit the amount of drilling needed. Sometimes we can eliminate the need for anesthesia. But occasionally, we can’t use lasers. When teeth already contain filings, cavities located between the molars, and to prepare a tooth for a crown or bridge.
Lasers and Gums
We use lasers in root canals, to biopsy potential oral cancer growths, to remove benign tumors and other lesions, and to reduce cold and canker sore pain. Additionally, these are some of the benefits of using lasers in gum treatment:
- Periodontal disease — We use lasers for root planing and scaling, the removal of bacteria and infected tissue from periodontal pockets, surgical reshaping of the gums to reduce the size and depth of periodontal pockets, and to promote reattachment of the gum to the tooth root.
- Gum recontouring — We use lasers to fix gummy smiles, to create a more symmetrical gum line, and to prepare the gum line for a crown.
- Less bleeding and swelling
- Less pain
- Quicker healing
- Reduced infection risk
- Ability to work on multiple areas of the mouth in a single session
- Greater precision in tissue removal
Schedule a Consultation
So, if we say we’re going to use a laser during your next appointment with us at Implant Dentistry of Florida, don’t hide behind a blast door! Is it time for your next exam and cleaning? Call us at (321) 372-7700 to make your appointment.