Our smile is an important part of our appearance. When you’re talking with others, they notice your teeth. Is your smile in need of a makeover? At Implant Dentistry of Florida, Dr. Brown and our entire team use the latest techniques in cosmetic dentistry to give our patients a perfect smile with a smile makeover.
What Is A Smile Makeover?
A smile makeover, sometimes known as full-mouth reconstruction, involves a variety of cosmetic dentistry procedures — everything from placing composite fillings to dental implants to porcelain veneers — to truly “makeover” a person’s smile. Each patient’s situation is unique, at Implant Dentistry of Florida, Dr. Brown plans your makeover around your particular needs.
Goals Of A Smile Makeover
Our smile makeovers aren’t a stock set of treatments. A big part of every smile makeover with Dr. Brown is first finding what you like and don’t like about your smile. These are areas we will address with your smile makeover planning:
- Alignment and spacing — A smile makeover doesn’t address serious alignment issues that would require orthodontic treatment. But we do target problems such as slightly crooked teeth, gaps between teeth, and misshapen teeth. Porcelain veneers can do an amazing job masking these problems.
- Missing teeth — Replacing missing teeth doesn’t qualify as truly “cosmetic,” but this is surely a part of a cosmetic upgrade for your smile. If you’re missing a tooth or two, Dr. Brown believes dental implants are far and away the best replacement option. Just look at the name of our practice! If you are missing a series of teeth a bridge, or even a partial denture, can be used.
- Tooth color — Every smile makeover at Implant Dentistry of Florida includes teeth whitening. It’s usually our first procedure because whitening returns your teeth to their natural whiteness. From there we can match other pieces of the puzzle, such as porcelain veneers, to your natural, whitened tooth color. If your teeth are stained beneath the enamel, possibly from a reaction to tetracycline as a child, we can cover the stained fronts with porcelain veneers.
- Balance — A balanced smile is a good-looking smile. If you have an overly gummy smile, it can be the only thing a person talking with you notices. Gum contouring can lengthen the portion of the visible teeth showing. He also can use the Pinhole Gum Rejuvenation method to bring down receding gums. Otherwise, we’ll fix or cover chips and cracks in your teeth with dental bonding, porcelain veneers, or porcelain crowns.
Procedures Included In A Smile Makeover
Every smile makeover is unique to the patient, a combination of your goals and Dr. Brown’s cosmetic dentistry expertise. These procedures could be a part of your smile makeover:
- Teeth whitening — Using our hydrogen peroxide whitening gels, we return your teeth to their natural color, removing stains from coffee, red wine, and the passage of time.
- Porcelain veneers — These thin shells of porcelain are applied to the fronts of the teeth to give your teeth perfect symmetry and a bright white sheen. You’ll be amazed at the ability of veneers to cover issues such as gaps between teeth or deep staining.
- Tooth-colored fillings — Out with the old silver amalgam fillings, in with tooth-colored, basically invisible composite resin fillings.
- Gum contouring — Gums can be contoured to lengthen the exposed natural tooth structure. Or, receding gums can be brought down.
- Porcelain crowns — If a tooth has a deep crack or maybe has a large filling that needs replacing, the strength of the tooth is compromised. In these cases, we use a porcelain crown to overlay the entire tooth all the way down to the gumline. Crowns return full strength to a tooth and can be used to change the overall shape of the tooth.
- Dental bonding — For small chips or subtle changes in one or more teeth, we may use dental bonding. For bonding, composite resin is painted on in thin layers and then cured to cover imperfections or change the shape of a tooth. Bonding isn’t a substitute for a full set of porcelain veneers, but it can address smaller issues with a beautiful end result.
- Dental implants — As our practice name implies, Dr. Brown is a big fan of dental implants as the best method for tooth replacement. Implants feature a titanium implant that is screwed down into the jawbone. The jawbone then grows around the implant, fully incorporating it. A post is attached to the implant with a porcelain false tooth atop that. Implants function exactly like a natural tooth.
What To Expect For Your Smile Makeover With Dr. Brown
How we handle your smile makeover is dependent on your unique needs. Most of these procedures are immediate and may be combined in a single appointment. Thanks to our CEREC system, we are able to place crowns in a single office visit. Porcelain veneers require a second appointment, as we have a dental lab fabricate the porcelain shells. If dental implants are a part of your makeover, they take up to six months or so from start to finish. Other than implants, in most cases a smile makeover can usually be accomplished in two appointments. Dr. Brown will discuss your possible timeframe during your consultation.
Is There Recovery After Full-Mouth Reconstruction?
With most of these procedures there isn’t any recovery. Dental implants and gum contouring are exceptions. Placing an implant requires a couple of recovery periods where your gums need to heal and you’ll eat a soft diet. Gum contouring will require a short recovery. Otherwise, procedures such as applying veneers or crowns or whitening your teeth have no recovery.
How Long Will My Smile Makeover Last?
Dental implants can last for the remainder of the patient’s life. Gum contouring is permanent. Most of the other procedures have a lifespan. Porcelain veneers can last up to 20 years, while dental bonding usually lasts around a decade. Composite fillings can last 10-20 years. Teeth whitening? How long your teeth will stay white depends on how much you like coffee, red wine, and blueberries, and how diligent your home hygiene regimen.
Schedule A Consultation
If you are interested in a Smile Makeover with Dr. Brown at implant Dentistry of Florida, contact us today! Call us at 321.372-7700 to schedule a consultation. Our practice serves Melbourne, Florida and surrounding areas.